Board index General Disscussion Celebrities

Disscus any famous people here

Oprah's School

Postby katharina » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:20 pm

Did anyone else see Oprah on the media this morning explaining what she knew, etc. about
the abuse in her South Africa school? I felt really sorry for her and it was obvious that she was
genuinely appalled at what happened. I hope at the very least, it forces a much better screening
process for teachers and house mothers in that school. How terrible for the girls when they
thought they were at a safe place. :cry:
katharina

Re: Oprah's School

Postby RoxyMoron » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:47 pm

I don't think I've ever heard of her school. Did she really not know what was going on? I hate to say it but how could she not know unless she wasn't really taking care of it anymore? I don't know...I hope that she really helps the school.
RoxyMoron

Postby mollyL » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:23 am

Sometimes I think that with everything Oprah does, she must say to whoever is walking beside her, "Take care of this", which of course is the hard part.
mollyL

Postby Calypso » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:19 pm

I felt bad for Oprah, too. She's an abuse victim herself, so I think she was genuinely shocked and horrified by what happened. And let's face it, unless she was there everyday, which obviously she couldn't be, it's pretty easy to cover up abuse. I hope now that everything is in the open, the school really can become the haven it was meant to be.
Calypso

Postby EviesEarth » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:22 am

Has anyone heard an update on this situation? It was pretty sad news. I too hope that it can be resolved and continue to do well for the girls at the school.
EviesEarth

Postby debrajean » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:42 am

What I'd like to see is Oprah spend some of those millions on helping people everywhere and not just her chosen ideals of what she deems worthy. I realize it's her money and she can do what she wants with it, but to say these people are more worthy than another isn't really the best way to look at things.
debrajean

Postby RFL1986 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:54 pm

To be honest I'm not a big fan of Oprah but it was still sad to hear that the abuse was going on at her school. Just the same I also very much dislike the way she allocates her money to certain projects and demographics she deems worthy of it instead of supporting a wider range of charities that need funding.
RFL1986

Postby EviesEarth » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:03 am

It does make someone wonder when that amount of money seems to be up for grabs. Perhaps she views it as a tax write off? Esp when it is also her show.
EviesEarth

Postby debrajean » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:57 pm

And her new 'reality show' The Big Give. I'm not really sure what it's all about, but who made the decisions on who gets to do the giving and who gets to do the receiving? I'm pretty sure Oprah had a hand in all that.
debrajean

Return to Celebrities